Monday, October 15, 2012

A Recipe Box (A Food Journal, An Appetite Scrapbook)

Recently I took up the romantic notion of putting together a recipe box. I fantasized of sitting down at my kitchen table copying, by hand, successfully completed recipes. I wistfully imagined shuffling through a mostly-alphabetically-organized box and pulling out a sauce splattered card. I imagined my children and grandchildren lovingly looking for their favorite cookie recipe carefully written in a delicate, slanted, loopy hand.

This (unfortunately) is really a fantastic fantasy. None of these things are likely to happen (least of all a 26-year-in development of lovely, loopy, delicate handwriting). While in many ways I am an analog girl, certain modes are more appropriate for sharing and longevity than a floury box of creased index cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment